Saturday, 29 December 2012

Christmas Cooking

As promised here is my Christmas cooking review.

I tried this year to set smaller goals than last year (so I wouldn't have so much left over) and I wouldn't break the bank or get too stressed out. Well that did work for the most part but I did still have a little bit left over - oh well.

More cupcakes were baked. This time dairy free chocolate cupcakes so my little niece could eat them. I made the whole batch dairy free and no one could tell (yeah!!!) Decorated with dairy free buttercream coloured green, tiny little edible tree confetti and to top it off a fondant star with everyone's name written on them for placemats. 


 

It's a tradition every year since MJ's and I's first Christmas together back in 2003 to bake/decorate this cookie tree. Well most of the time I end up baking and decorating the cookie tree but MJ ends up eating most of it so it works out fair in the end. I always like going for a rustic looking tree plus it's easier to decorate that way. The kit is a Wilton cookie tree set and is pretty easy to follow except the instructions say you should make 2 batches of the cookie recipe but after 3 years of doing 2 batches it made way too many cookies and 1 batch is more than enough. It's always a hit and MJ looks forward to eating the last big cookie star that is left at the bottom.





I also got my traditional Christmas Nigella recipe in too - Sweet & Salty Crunch Nut Bars, so I'm counting this towards my 150 so that 3 down now.

Oh my gosh these are the best chocolate bars ever - when you look at what goes in it, you'd think it wouldn't work out but wow it sure does. I did buy enough supplies to make 2 batches but we were all so full on Sunday night after dinner it didn't get touched so transferred over to Christmas Day. I might just have to make another batch just for myself and MJ.

My Review:

Title: Sweet & Salty Crunch Nut Bars
Book/Page #: Nigella Kitchen #310
Date cooked: 22/12/12
Review out of 5: 5 +
Eat again: Always
Notes: Just the best treat for Christmas







I did get a chance for Christmas Day to make some chocolate Rudolph Cupcakes I'd learnt to make in cupcake class.

They were a hit and with a few left over carried over for the 27th family insanity.




With all that cooking - I was a mess.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...