Tuesday, 29 January 2013

A Month of Moments: Hungry

This post comes with a warning – proceed at your own risk – you may feel hungry afterwards.

Yesterday we had a public holiday to celebrate the Australia Day long weekend. I’m all for an excuse to have a day off and get a long weekend out it. I had all of yesterday planned out and completed my list of to-dos except for one, I was just too tired to complete it.

I started my cooking day off with a request from MJ – Chocolate Mousse (one of his favourites).

I love this book "Sweet Old-fashioned Favourites" it's a Women's Weekly cook book - I’ve made this Chocolate Mousse a number of times now. It’s one of the best recipes. 


200g dark chocolate, chopped
30g unsalted butter
3 eggs, separated
300ml carton thickened cream, whipped

Place chocolate in heatproof bowl, place over pan of simmering water, stir chocolate until melted, remove from heat. Add butter, stir until melted, stir in egg yolks, 1 at a time: transfer mixture to large bowl, cover, cool. 

Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold the cream and egg whites into chocolate mixture in 2 batches. Pour mixture into serving dishes, refrigerate several hours or overnight.

I usually add a few drops of peppermint essence at the end just before going into the fridge to give the mousse a slight minty taste – the best.

I got to test out my new mixer and three of its attachments over the course of the day. It was great for the egg whites in the mousse it took less than a minute to whisk the whites to a soft peak.



Looks strange but tastes awesome
Next up I started on making my own bread. MJ has sandwiches everyday for lunch at work so I thought I’d give bread making a go for a treat.

I used my dough hook on the mixer and the dough was mixed up within less than 2 minutes – man this mixer is fast. I used the recipe for bread from the booklet that came with the mixer. I think I might try a recipe from my Margret Fulton baking cookbook next time and try it by hand for fun.

It took awhile of course as you have to wait for all the rising to happen. But in the end it was worth the wait – oh so yummy and fresh.




Last on my list was Peanut Butter cookies – recipe from Margaret Fulton Baking cookbook.

These ones didn’t quite work out 100% and a few got a little burnt but they were yummy to eat and the batter was awesome to eat. I did get to try out the scraper beater for the mixer so that worked well.

I’m not sure if I’ll try making these biscuits again as I followed the recipe and the mixture just didn’t come together as it was meant to but I did get a result and it was okay but not great.




I was going to make Toffee Ice-cream but by the time I had finished all this up I was too spent to do anymore cooking. So that will get planned for another day later this week. It was lovely to spend the day in the kitchen especially on a really rainy day too, I have to plan more of these days more myself and thank goodness for dishwashers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...