Thursday, 3 October 2013

Recipe - Dairy Free/Wheat Free Cheesecake - yes it is possible

It was my 1st bloggy birthday the other day (see here) and I wanted to make something special for the occasion. You see I have a dairy and wheat intolerance, I can eat some dairy/wheat but just not a lot only small amounts. I still cook lots of yummy things with both dairy and wheat but I do try and balance it out. Anyway I found this recipe for Lactose Free Cheesecake on cheesecake.com and I just altered it a little by using wheat free/dairy free arrowroot biscuits.

I was so impressed with how it turned out, you wouldn't know it was dairy free, it tasted so creamy and divine. Plus pairing it with coconut milk ice-cream - wow!!!! that's all I can say.

Recipe (found here) I've re-worded a little to what I did.

Filling:

  • 2 tubs soy cream cheese
  • 1 tub non-dairy sour cream
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
Crust:
  • 1 pkt arrowroot biscuits 
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 5 tablespoons dairy free butter, melted 
Directions:

For the crust: 
Preheat the oven to 180C. In a food processor combine the arrowroot biscuits and sugar. Add melted dairy free butter and mix until mixture is completely moist. Pour this mixture into a round cake pan (the one with the release on the side) and press crumbs onto the bottom. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes and set aside.  
For the filling:
Combine all ingredients into a saucepan and stir over a low heat for 5 minutes until mixture comes together and thickens (I used a whisk to help bring it together). Carefully pour onto the crust and bake at 180C for 30 minutes. 
Chill the cheesecake in the fridge and serve cold. 

What I used

Mixing up the crust

Crust after the 8 -10 mintues

Getting the filling ready 

It does thicken and come together - I used a whisk to help

Ready for the oven 

Baked and cooling before going into the fridge

End result 



2 comments:

  1. Yum! It looks tasty!

    The one thing I really miss about not being able to tolerate dairy is cheesecake. I've only recently discovered dairy free cream cheese so one day I'm going to make a cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With this recipe you'll never miss out again :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...