Saturday, 19 October 2013

Recipe - Hummingbird Cake

On Thursday it was one of my brother's 33rd birthday, I asked him what type of cake would he like - Hummingbird Cake was the answer.

I've never eaten Hummingbird Cake before let alone made it, so it was a nice challenge to be had.

It turned out pretty good for a first attempt and my brother was very happy and quite impressed (it takes a lot to impress him - so that's a good sign). The only thing was on Thursday it was quite a hot day so the cake didn't cool very well and end up a bit sticky when trying to frost up later. The frosting was so awesome you could just eat it all by itself.

Ingredients

For Cake:

  • 125g chopped pecan nuts
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 110g can crushed pineapple (I used fresh pineapple as I had some on hand)
  • 300g plain flour
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • 1 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 300g caster sugar
  • 225ml sunflower oil 
For Frosting:
  • 375g cream cheese
  • 250g butter, softened
  • 300g icing sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest, finely grated (I used lemon juice as I didn't have lemon zest)
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
To Decorate
  • 3 tbsp chopped pecans (I toasted these ones too)
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line the bases of two cake tins
  2. Put the pecans onto a baking tray and toast them in the oven for 5 - 8 mins
  3. Mix them in a small bowl with the bananas, pineapple and 55g flour, which helps prevent the fruit and nuts sinking to the bottom. 
  4. Sift the remaining flour, spices, bicarb and salt into a mixing bowl. 
  5. In another bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until they are thick, pale and creamy. Then whisk in oil, little by little. 
  6. Tip in the flour mixture and fold it in until the mixture is blended. Fold in the pecan mixture and then divide the thick batter between the tins. 
  7.  Bake for 50 - 55 mins until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 25 mins and then turn out onto wire racks to finish cooling.
  8. For the frosting, beat the cream cheese until it's fluffy, then beat in the butter until nicely combined. Sift in the icing sugar and beat until smooth, stir in lemon zest and vanilla extract and whisk until light and fluffy.
  9. Place one layer on a serving plate and spread over some of the icing. Place second cake onto and smooth icing all over the top and sides. Decorate with the chopped pecans.
Enjoy. 








(A Month of Food: No 16. Family and No. 19 Serve) 



4 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite cakes. I have never made one though.I'm not that great at following recipes...well I'm fine until I reach the time instruction.Invariably I get into some new task while the product cooks.. until the smell of burning begin to assault my nose.:) You certainly made a great birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes it's so easy to get distracted by other tasks at hand. Thank goodness for kitchen timers - they help keep me on track. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  2. Gosh but that's a lot of ingredients! I just love the name of this one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a lot. I wonder how hummingbird name came about?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...