Monday, 13 January 2014

A Year of Ethical Living

This year I wanted to set myself a challenge of sorts, something that aligns with my passions and values, something I believe in, support and can really get behind.
Well I found my challenge, Pip from Meet Me At Mikes posted an amazing challenge up called A Year of Ethical Fashion – it even has its own hashtag #yoef.
It’s exactly how I feel, we consume way too much as society and what we do consume isn't always ethical – workers are mistreated, unfair wages, unsafe working conditions, the list goes on, just so we can all wear cheap throw away clothes.
So this year, I take a vow that when I need clothing I will follow these simple steps:
  •           Make it
  •           Borrow it
  •           Buy second-hand
  •           Wear what I already own
  •           Buy from ethical/Fairtrade suppliers
  •           Or do without

But I've decided to take this one step further – a year of ethical living. So that includes any furniture/products/services I will need throughout the year. I will also try to limit unnecessary spending, as I already have more than enough stuff now (see Inked In Colour blog on her take of More than Enough).
I will have one loophole though – I'm not on a very big wage – so if there is a product/clothing/service etc that I either cannot find second-hand or afford the ethical version and I do need it (say I can’t go without it) then I will buy it at the price I can afford.  I cannot afford to break our budget as we don’t have a very big one as it is. But it won’t be a quick decision I'll research first before breaking the rules.
There is one more rule I might just mention. If I do break the rules, I won’t be happy but there is no point beating myself up badly over it, I'll just correct myself and move on.
I'm excited about this and I'm looking to see what challenges it might throw at me and seeing how I will handle them. I will keep you posted on my process and any projects I make.
Does anyone want to join me? 
Note: Pip has a Facebook group set up for this too, head over and join up (click here)

2 comments:

  1. "We consume way too much as society and what we do consume isn't always ethical – workers are mistreated, unfair wages, unsafe working conditions, the list goes on, just so we can all wear cheap throw away clothes"... This is exactly how I feel too!
    I have already joined 'A Year of Ethical Fashion', but I love the fact that you have taken it a step further. I am looking forward to hearing more about your year of ethical living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear someone else feels the same way.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...