Sunday, 9 February 2014

Gluten Free 21st Chocolate Cake

My brother-in-law just recently turned 21 and last night was his 21st birthday party. He asked me if I could make him a birthday cake. Of course I didn't mind but it had to be gluten/dairy free as he has just recently had to go both gluten/dairy free.

Woolworths last week thankfully had their Marco brand gluten-free chocolate cake mix on 1/2 price special - bonus. So I nabbed 2 boxes and Friday night set to work baking a cake.


I normally like to cook from scratch and not use box mixes but after a long week at work having suffered headaches most of the week it was nice to just tip a box upside down and add some water and eggs.


I baked the cake in a deep square dish and then once cool cut it through the centre to get 2 layers. I mixed up some dairy-free chocolate buttercream using dairy-free butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder and a splash of soy milk. Layered a lovely helping of buttercream in-between the 2 layers and then coated the outside of the cake with the rest of the buttercream (except for the spoonful that ended up in my mouth at the end - haaaa). I wanted the buttercream to act as moisture for the cake as gluten-free cakes have a tendency to dry out. I then stored the cake in the fridge overnight.



Saturday afternoon (cause I was in the city having High Tea with my mum during the day) I set out to work on the fondant details.


I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do but after a quick look at Pinterest during the week I got some ideas and used different methods from different cakes mixed with my own ideas to come up with the end result.

The end result - the birthday boy was very happy!!!!! Yeah!!!!!



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...