Saturday, 29 March 2014

Feel Free to Fail

I am really bad at so many things. I fail at most things I touch but I keep trying - why????

Why do we try again and again when we fail so much?

Because we have to try to see if we are good at something and we also need to fail to see if we are good at something.

Our society nowadays is so focused on perfection and excellence but if you only do the things your amazing at then you miss out on a lot of other adventures life has to offer. Plus you might be brilliant at something after you fail so many times in practice.

I've always been so scared to try new things in case I fail at it, I never gave many things the time that was required to get better. Over the last few years and more recently months I've come to realise that to FAIL is really First Attempt In Learning.


I'm currently reading 'The Happiness Project' by Gretchen Rubin (awesome book - greatly recommend it) and I love how she writes: "I have an idea of who I wish I were, and that obscures my understanding of who I actually am. Sometimes I pretend even to myself to enjoy activities that I don't really enjoy, such as shopping, or to be interested in subjects that don't much interest me, such as foreign policy. And worse, I ignore my true desires and interests." As I was reading this passage - it hit me - that's me. I have an idea of who I wish I was but never really pay attention to who I actually was. I pretend to like things I don't like, or wished I liked things that I don't like. All because I didn't want to be seen as a failure in front of people or because I wanted to impress others and fit it.

Why fit in when you were born to stand out! (that's how the saying goes right?)

It's fun to try and fail as you learn to discover yourself and what your interests and dislikes are all at the same time.

Failure isn't a bad word if you don't fail every once in awhile then you're not really trying to do anything.

So go out there and try and fail and try and fail and succeed you never know what adventures or opportunities might come your way.

Always remember Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team - he turned out all right.

Photo sources unknown - they are off my computer saved ages ago from Facebook feeds 

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...