Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Epic of Epic Macaron fail

I've always wanted to bake macarons and build a macron tower like this one
 
I have baked macarons before (see here) from a packet so this time I tried them from scratch with a French Macaron recipe I printed out from some website many moons ago. 
 
So I got all my ingredients together 


And my equipment 


I started mixing all my ingredients and got my egg whites to the an amazing shininess and peak form (I was very impressed with my efforts)


I wanted to be clever so I halved the mixture and coloured/flavoured one pink/strawberry and the other one brown/chocolate. 
 
I used a little tip I learnt from Nerdy Nummies when it came to the pouring the mixture into the piping bag (use a tall glass - oh how smart). 


Then after one failed attempt all my other macarons piped out beautifully and oh so smooth (I should have know something was up at this point, it was all going too well) 



I left my perfect looking macarons for the allotted 40 mins before putting them into the oven. After baking for close to 10 mins I took them out and they were no longer pretty looking but all puffed and cracked. But I thought "no it's ok, just allow them to cool before touching them".


So I got to work on my meringue filling, I've never used a candy thermometer. It turned out very silky smooth. 

 
Well the trouble hit when I went to move my little macarons off their mat, they all started to crumble and collapse before my very eyes - oh no my precious little biscuits. 


Well not wanting to waste all the time and effort I decided to break up my little biscuits more and mix it in with the filling to create a whole new dessert (which got better after a night in the fridge - it's now like a marshmallow)


So I didn't get to build my tower and I didn't even get to eat a proper macaron. I don't know what went wrong, I follow the recipe to a T, had ingredients at room temp, left the macarons for 40 mins before going into the oven. Has anyone else baked macarons before? do you know what went wrong? do you have any tricks of the trade to share with a fellow baking enthusiast? 
 
I'd like to be able to build my tower one day but this wasn't that day, but it was sure fun having a go and finding a whole new dessert along the way (except only ate about 3 teaspoons as the sugar headache just isn't worth it). 

Also find me on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest 

2 comments:

  1. Devastating!
    I want to try these but am so worried I would have a similar result. Macarons are one of the best things in the world but also very scary:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will just have to keep trying till we get them right. When I do I'll share my secrets.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...