Thursday, 27 November 2014

How style and clothes have changed me‏....


For those of you that follow along on Instagram and Facebook would surely have noticed that I participate in style dares and I want to share with you all how I've have noticed that style and clothes have changed me - for the better.

It all started back in March this year just after my first miscarriage and I saw Fox in Flats post up her March daily style dare where you have a daily style prompt to work out an outfit. I thought to myself that sounds like a little bit of fun, I'll give it a go. After about 2 weeks of daily prompts I noticed that I was starting to look forward to picking out my outfits each day and I was smiling every time I got dressed, sometimes it was my only smile of the day. It didn't take away the pain I was feeling from losing my baby but it helped me through it by giving me one small thing a day to smile about.

So when March ended I wanted more and I stumbled upon Hilary Rushford's Style Me daily challenge. So I spent the month of April playing dress up each and every day. Finding new ways to view my clothes and putting together outfits I never dreamed possible - all with the clothes I already owned in my wardrobe.

As the year has processed the more adventurous and daring I've gotten with my clothes, one month I even did the 2 style challenges consecutively (which was so much fun trying to marry the prompts together). I've started to discover my own unique style, I even discovered that there are long pants out there that aren't jeans. I'm finding I'm wearing more of the clothes I own than I ever use to as I'd just put on the same clothes over and over again. I'm also putting together different combinations, different colours and feeling different everyday. 

Even after the second miscarriage in August and how traumatic that was to deal with, the clothes helped me. I felt like I had something else to think about, something else to focus on. I used it as a reason to keep going, to keep getting out of bed each day and dressed. In a way clothes saved me.

The biggest advancement I've found is not on the outside with looking different but it would have to be on the inside. I feel more comfortable in my skin, I've got a little more confidence, I feel like I'm discovering a new side of me, I'm surprising people and keeping them guessing. 

I've also meet some amazing people through sharing my photos on Instagram (well I've meet them virtually) and I've even become penpals with a few of them. None of this would have happened if I hadn't decided to take that first style challenge and do something to find a little happiness each day.

I'm going to keep doing these challenges and keep mixing it up with my clothes because I've seen how much it's helped me and how much I've grown over the past 9 - 10 months and I'm excited to keep growing and to keep changing.

They say clothes make the man but I say clothes help develop the man.

Have clothes changed you or something else has? What's made an impact in your life?

2 comments:

  1. I love that being creative with your clothing has helped you through some difficult times. Crochet has had the same effect for me with my chronic illness. It gives me a focus outside of myself and it gives me a way to express myself.

    Cheers,
    Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear it's done the same for you too. Being creative can help us with the pains of life.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...