Monday, 29 June 2015

Push thyself


I struggle with confidence, I like to do things perfect straight away, up front. Well this just doesn't happen in life and I've given up doing so many things throughout my life just because I couldn't get it right first time.

This is a trait I've been trying to challenge over the past 2 years and even more so this year as I'm sick of missing out on moments, lessons and achievements just because I'm not ‘perfect’. This weekend I had a real breakthrough moment, I was so proud of myself.

My lovely friend Lynda from Homelea Lass asked for volunteers to test out her draft crochet pattern of a lovely blanket she’s designed. I love crocheted things and it's a skill I would really like to possess. So this weekend past I decided to give it a go. I know some basic crochet stitches but I'm still very much a beginner.

Well the crocheting was a series of errors, undoing, redoing, undoing, redoing, missing stitches, misunderstanding instructions and still after 6 hours not getting it right and only ending up with 4 rows done completely wrong. But the best part was every time I made a mistake or had to start again, I just laughed – something I wouldn't have done last year. I kept saying to myself “you’re learning, you’re a beginner, each row redone it another row learnt”, and it was all true, I was learning, I am a beginner and each row was practice. One day I do hope to be at least half as good as Lynda but I have to remember Lynda was a beginner once too. 

We seem to do that, we forget that we have to start as a beginner before we can become a pro. We always want to skip the beginner part and be pro straight up. We struggle with the process of going from one to the other. The journey between those 2 points can be tough, annoying and long but they can also be fun as you push yourself to achieve something you've never done before. We can’t always excel first time (maybe the odd fluke), it all takes time, patience, practice and effort. In the end sheer determination will pay off.

Also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. I know how you're feeling CJ! I have spent many hours trying to understand crochet patterns, getting it wrong, pulling it out, trying again and again and again till I get it right. It can be so frustrating.

    The beautiful thing about crochet (and most things in life) is that once you've mastered what you're struggling with it's easy. Super easy. The frustration at the start makes it all the more enjoyable when you've created something gorgeous that will live on for many years.

    I'm learning how to write great crochet patterns at present and your feedback is going to help me immensely. I've come to realise that I need to keep trying to write great patterns and over time I will get there. It's okay if it's not perfect the first time.

    I'm looking forward to seeing how you go with making the Flourish Blanket.

    With love,
    Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda,

      It's always the hardest at the beginning.

      I hope to start again on the blanket soon as I want to give myself a break but I'm itching to try again and see if a new day and new eyes make a difference.

      You've done a great job creating patterns, it's amazing.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...