Wednesday, 13 January 2016

It's all connected


Over the past 2 years I've started to learn more about sustainability and what it means to be sustainable. But it’s really been over the past 6 or so months that I’ve started to develop a passion and a heart for it. I do get passionate over things but it normally quickly fizzes out and I become bored as I don’t give it the time (see last post – be a beginner). 

Sustainability has been very different not only has the passion stayed around but it’s gotten stronger and stronger. I was curious as to why was this different to all the other things over the years, so I sat down and journaled it out. This was my conclusion:

“It’s all connected. What I put on my skin, what I put in my mouth, what clothes I wear, what I buy, the waste I create it all makes an impact. It either helps or destroys the planet and its resources. As a Christian I view this planet as a place God gave us to look after and take care of. So by treating the world with respect I see it as a form of praise/worship to God. Once again it’s all connected – body, mind and spirit. All levels are intertwined.”

I cannot believe I've never made the connection before, I didn't see it till now.

The clothes I wear: How were they made? Are the workers paid right? Treated right? Are they exploited? Are the girls sexually assaulted? What resources are used? Are they renewable? Are they wasteful?

The food I eat: Is it local? How many pesticides were used? Is it GM free? Is it in season? Farmers paid fairly? Animal treated fairly? Added hormones? How much packaging?

What I put on my skin: Harmful or safe? Chemicals? Recyclable packaging? Animal testing? Resources used? Workers paid and treated fairly?

Products/Items I buy: Recyclable? How do I depose of it if it’s not? Resources used? Packaging? Safe or harmful?

So many questions but it’s all connected, nothing escapes it. It’s so easy to get overwhelmed and just think what’s the point it’s all too hard. Yes it is hard but it’s worth it. All you can do is take it slow and go one step at a time. I get easily overwhelmed but I realised I cannot change it all in one go, all I can do is with each new purchase seek out the best possible source I can and that’s within in my budget. We don’t have a very high income at all but I can learn to DIY, buy secondhand (which I do a lot anyway), borrow etc. Sometimes I won’t be able to buy a better alternative as it’s either not available to us or out of our price range, but that’s ok, it’s a start and a step in the right direction.

Plus the wonderful world of the internet is full of amazing people and blogs that have really helped me learn and discover more about sustainability, go check them out, they’re fantastic and you’ll learn so much and get great ideas and knowledge.

The blogs I love to visit are:

Katie at Sustainability In Style

Jennifer at Eco Warrior Princess

1 Million Women

Erin at The Rogue Ginger

Lindsay at Treading my own Path

Plastic Free Tuesday

If you know of any others I’d love to hear about them and go check them out.

Also please let me know your thoughts on sustainability.

Also find me on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest

Photo source here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...