Friday, 4 March 2016

What exactly is creativity?


Creativity is whatever the heck you want it to be.

It can be:

- writing
- cooking
- exploring
- photography
- singing
- dancing
- looking after your family
- cleaning

It can be anything, and it belongs to anyone and everyone. There's no such thing as the elite or talented. Yes there are some amazingly talented people out there but talent really is only what we make of it. I might think one painter is extremely talented and you might think they suck.

I've just finished reading Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert recently, and while some parts of the books lost me, other parts did stand out to me. Yes I felt a lot of her book did talk about the arts part of creating but a few key aspects stood out to me:

"You don't need anybody's permission to live a creative life" - you are the only one that needs to give yourself permission to create, no one else has that right. You were born into this world and you belong here, you're here for a reason so go and create.

"Most things have already been done - but they have not been done by you" - yes how many times have you stopped yourself from creating something because others have done it before you? I know I have. But so what if it's been done before, it hasn't been done by you and you are different to all the other people out there so go on and put your spin on it.

"You will fail" - yes you will fail and it stops so many of us from doing so much - stupid fear. Yes we need fear but we let it take the drivers seat and take us where it wants to go not where we want to go. Failure is part of life, you can only get better by trying, and if you still keep failing at something, try something completely different. Creativity doesn't have to be perfect - there's no such thing as perfect anyhow. Just go out there and create - the outcome doesn't matter, all that matters is you are fulfilling your creative desires.

We are a creation of a creator so we are creativity personified - so go out there and own that creativity as it was born into you - all of us.

Also find me on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest

Photo my own

4 comments:

  1. Awesome message CJ! "Go out there and CREATE!" Love it! Thanks for linking up with us at Friday Favourites

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post!
    I was also wanting to read Big Magic myself! I felt relieved when you said it lost you in parts, I have flicked through the chapters and also found myself a little confused and feeling as though it wasn't the usual Elizabeth Gilbert works...
    I will start reading it today! Being lost in a good book is a good thing after all.
    Thank you for a beautiful blog site. Reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the post. When I said it lost me in parts I meant I got lost I couldn't follow some bits but then other parts really stood out to me. Read the book and see what you think of it, I would love to know.

      Thank you I'm glad you enjoy my blog, yes please keep reading :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...