Thursday, 1 December 2016

The tryhards guide to be eco - in the bathroom


Today is part two of my series “The tryhards guide to being eco”. What did you think of part one about food? Did it get you motivated to make changes? If so what changes did you make?

This time we are focusing on the bathroom. There is so many products to be had in tiniest room of the house, but everything we use can make a difference.

First up cleaning products. I’ll admit we do use cleaning products in the bathroom as my husband is a self-confessed clean freak and has quite high standards of cleanliness (I don’t always meet it) so he does most of the cleaning which means in turn he’s more in charge of the cleaning supplies. We do buy most of Earth Choice products which are a slightly better option out there on the market but he will let me use bi-carb and vinegar to help clean the muck that gets caught up in the basin drains. You pour a generous amount of bi-carb over the plug hole leave to sit for about 10-15 mins then pour over some vinegar then wash it all down with boiling water and it cleans up quite nicely.

Toilet paper you can buy in partly recycled varieties or you buy Who Gives a Crap (love that name) which is 100% recycled. I personally haven’t used any of these myself as we get our toilet paper for free (a client my husband works for owns a cleaning company so we get given boxes of it) but I have heard from people that do use it that it's very good and quite well priced.

Beauty products can be quite detrimental not only to the environment but also to your health. I try to put the least amount of chemicals on my body as I can. I use Melrose Botanical shampoo, Vegesorb face cream, Moo Goo deodorant, Lush lip-scrub and Ere Perez lipstick and foundation which are all free from chemicals. I use arrowroot power instead of talc and I buy Tilley Australia soap from the chemist which comes package free (extra bonus). I make my own body lotion which is so easy. A 1:1 ratio of coconut oil and cacao butter – melt together in a saucepan, whack in the fridge till it sets again, pull it out and let it soften a bit then whip it up in the mixer (I use a whisk attachment) and pop it in a jar (you can add a few drops of lavender oil if you like after the melting process before you put it in the fridge).

I haven’t quite been able to bring myself to use a menstrual cup or reusable pads, I just haven’t quite gotten there yet but I use the brand TOM which is organic and better than most of the other brands out there.

I’ve tried bamboo toothbrushes but haven’t enjoyed the taste of them (they taste like the wooden stick the doctor sticks in your mouth when you say ahhh) or that feels like it cleans properly. So I do still use a conventional toothbrush until I can find one I’m happy with. Same with toothpastes, some of the natural brands I found didn’t keep my teeth white or leave that clean mouth feel, I’ll keep looking – anyone know a good brand to try?

You don’t need a blow-dryer as you can just let your hair naturally dry and it feels great on a hot day to have wet hair anyway, so you save on electricity and less plastic crap in the bathroom taking up space and damaging your hair.

Yes there is more I could do in the bathroom when it comes to being eco but I’ve made a few little changes which are better than none at all and I do need to work in with my husband who isn’t as big on the eco train as I am.

See you next time when we tackle the topic of clothes.

What eco things have you tired in the bathroom? Do you have any tips to share with me? 

Also find me on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest

Photo source here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...